What Wikipedia Can't Tell You About A Rickshaw Driver Life in Bangladesh


It's been two days since I landed in Bangladesh. It was 6 years ago when I rode a rickshaw . So I was eager to ride a rickshaw. Me and my cousin called a rickshaw driver and he was agreed to go the place we asked to. He was already sweaty , he looks like 37 ish . He was wearing t-shirt which is little bit ripped apart , obviously dirty and was wearing scarf type cloths for wiping his sweats .The scarf type cloths was bit dirty and looks like wet as well.Anyway , so he was driving rickshaw and I asked him , " O Driver !! How is your life ?. He took a deep breath and left a sigh relief. You can tell how depressed and frustrated he is. He said, " I am very lucky that  I am alive and spending time with my family" . I thought that's very fare statement. Anyway I took an interview from him for an hour or so. Trust me ,  I was sad and I took a deep breath and asked God that I wish I could help him and his family . But it was out of my hand. He drives this rickshaw and he doesn't own it . So he has to pay the owner 100TK everyday . So whatever left , at the end of the day goes to his pocket.He has five children including his eldest two child are girls and rest of them are boys. In Bangladesh its really important for poor family to have eldest is  son , not daughter. Because girls struggle to get a labour job for poor family and also the security is another vital reason for them.


The driver has seven members including him to run his family. The groceries are so expensive in Bangladesh , even we came from England we feel it . So imagine how hard is for poor society to survive in this expensive competitive market . For him to provide education materials for his children is so difficult for him . One single man to take the burden is a lot to ask.We all ask why Bangladesh is not educated as other countries.Poor peoples existence are more than the rich people in Bangladesh. For poor society first they have to earn something to give their tummy to something , then the rent , electricity bills and education materials like pens and note book . You might ask they dont need more notebooks and pens .  But Bangladesh are more focused in textbook rather than thinking out of the box. So the teachers give them more homework and in class they write a lot and also force them to memories the textbook. So for the rickshaw driver , he has a lot to think about . He wants his daughters to get married . He has to save a lot of money , but how ? , where he struggles to survive a week or sometimes a day . It's  a lot to ask . Like him there is a lot of rickshaw drivers or poor people like him struggling .I was wondering what is the solution and what can we do to change these situations and the atmosphere being frustrated everyday.We  , little bit established people don't want to give them little bit extra fare , which can help him little bit .A little contribution from individuals can make huge difference to society.

Comments